my son has autism what benefits am i entitled to

Mariah Brown

written by

Mariah Brown

update on

Welcome to this comprehensive guide on understanding the benefits and financial support available for parents whose children have autism. Are you wondering what benefits you may be entitled to for your son with autism? Look no further! In this article, we will delve into various resources and support systems that can assist you in providing the best care for your child. Whether you are new to this journey or seeking additional information, we’re here to help.

As a parent of a child with autism myself, I understand the challenges and questions that can arise. That’s why I’ve put together this guide to provide you with insights, answers, and support. Let’s explore the benefits that you and your son may be entitled to, enabling you to navigate the system with confidence and ensure the best outcomes (?)

my son has autism what benefits am i entitled to

Understanding Autism Benefits

What Types of Benefits are Available?

The first step in understanding the benefits available for your son with autism is to familiarize yourself with the various types of support provided. Some common benefits you might be entitled to are:

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Universal Credit
  • Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

Each of these benefits serves a specific purpose and can provide financial assistance, support services, and accommodations tailored to your child’s needs. Let’s explore each of these benefits in more detail.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a benefit that helps with the extra costs associated with a disability or long-term health condition. It is available for children under the age of 16 and can provide financial support to cover expenses related to care, mobility, and supervision.

The amount you receive depends on the level of care and mobility needs your child has. To determine your eligibility for DLA, the UK government assesses your son’s daily living activities, communication abilities, and mobility. It’s essential to provide detailed information about your child’s condition, as the decision is based on the impact his autism has on his daily life.

Carer’s Allowance

As a parent or guardian providing significant care for your son with autism, you may be entitled to Carer’s Allowance. This benefit is designed to acknowledge the time and effort you dedicate to supporting your child’s needs.

Carer’s Allowance is a non-means-tested benefit that provides financial support to those who provide at least 35 hours of weekly care for a child with a qualifying disability. However, it is essential to note that receiving Carer’s Allowance may impact other benefits you currently receive, such as the state pension, so it’s crucial to consider the overall impact before applying.

Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

What is an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)?

An Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is a tailored support plan for children and young people with special educational needs, including those with autism. EHCPs are designed to ensure that your child receives the necessary educational support, accommodations, and therapies required to reach their full potential.

The EHCP process involves a comprehensive assessment to determine your son’s specific needs and the services required to meet those needs. It is a collaborative effort involving input from you as a parent, educational professionals, healthcare providers, and other key specialists.

The EHCP will outline the support your child should receive in an educational setting, including any accommodations, therapies, or additional support required. It is essential to familiarize yourself with the EHCP process and your rights as a parent to ensure your child receives appropriate support.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What steps should I take if my son’s disability worsens?

If your son’s disability worsens, it is essential to inform the relevant authorities and update the necessary documentation. This ensures that he continues to receive the appropriate level of support and benefits required to meet his changing needs. Contact your local authority’s social services department or relevant benefit office to understand the steps to take for reassessment or updating your child’s benefits and support plan.

2. Can I work and still receive benefits for my son with autism?

Absolutely! Many parents of children with autism work while caring for their children. Benefits such as Carer’s Allowance and Disability Living Allowance are not means-tested, meaning they are not affected by the level of your income or savings. However, it’s important to consider how accepting employment or changes in your circumstances may affect your eligibility for certain benefits. Always consult official government resources or seek advice from a qualified professional to understand how earning a income may affect the benefits you receive.


Caring for a child with autism comes with unique challenges, but there are numerous benefits available to assist families in providing the best care and support. Understanding the benefits you may be entitled to can significantly alleviate financial burdens and provide access to necessary services. By familiarizing yourself with the process and your rights as a parent, you can confidently navigate the system and access the support your son needs.

Remember, every child is different, and the benefits you are entitled to may vary depending on individual circumstances. Stay informed, consult official sources, and seek advice from professionals who specialize in autism support and benefits. Together, we can ensure a brighter future for our children.

For more information on autism benefits and other related topics, be sure to explore our other articles. We are here to support you on this journey.


Table Breakdown: Types of Autism Benefits

Types of Autism Benefits
Benefit Description
Disability Living Allowance (DLA) Financial support for extra costs related to disability
Carer’s Allowance Financial support for those who provide substantial care
Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Support for adults with long-term illnesses or disabilities
Universal Credit Financial assistance for people with low income or out of work
Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) Support plan for children with special educational needs

FAQs about Benefits for Children with Autism

Question 1: Are there benefits available specifically for children with autism?

Answer: Yes, there are benefits available specifically for children with autism, such as Disability Living Allowance and Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCPs). These benefits aim to provide financial assistance and tailored support for individuals with autism.

Question 2: Can I apply for benefits as a parent of a child with autism?

Answer: While benefits are generally provided directly for individuals with autism, there are benefits available for parents who provide significant care for their children with autism. Carer’s Allowance is an example of a benefit specifically designed for parents and guardians.

Question 3: How do I apply for benefits for my child with autism?

Answer: The application process may vary depending on the specific benefit. Usually, you will need to complete an application form, provide supporting documentation and evidence of your child’s autism diagnosis, and submit it to the relevant benefit office or authority. Official government websites, helplines, or advocacy groups can provide guidance on how to apply for each benefit.

Question 4: Are there benefits available for adults with autism?

Answer: Yes, there are benefits available for adults with autism. Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is one such benefit designed to provide support to individuals aged 16 and above with long-term illnesses or disabilities.

Question 5: Can I receive multiple benefits for my child with autism?

Answer: Yes, it is possible to receive multiple benefits for your child with autism, as different benefits serve different purposes. However, it’s essential to understand the specific eligibility criteria, requirements, and potential impact on other benefits before applying for multiple benefits.

Question 6: What type of evidence or documentation is required to apply for benefits?

Answer: The evidence or documentation required may vary depending on the benefit. Generally, you will need to provide a formal diagnosis of autism, medical reports, educational assessments, and any relevant supporting information. It’s best to consult official resources or seek advice from professionals familiar with the application process for each benefit to ensure you provide the necessary documents.

Question 7: Can benefits change as my child with autism grows older?

Answer: Yes, benefits may change as your child with autism grows older. Regular reassessments may be required to ensure that the benefits provided align with your child’s changing needs and circumstances. It’s important to keep authorities and benefit offices updated on any changes in your child’s condition to ensure continued support.

Question 8: Can my child receive benefits if they attend a mainstream school?

Answer: Yes, children attending mainstream schools can still receive benefits if they meet the eligibility criteria. The requirements for benefits generally focus on the individual’s specific support needs rather than the type of school they attend.

Question 9: Are there any benefits available to help cover therapy costs for my child with autism?

Answer: While there may not be specific benefits solely aimed at covering therapy costs, certain benefits, such as Disability Living Allowance, Carer’s Allowance, and Personal Independence Payment, can provide financial support that can be used towards therapy expenses. Additionally, your child may be eligible for other local or regional grants or funding that supports therapy costs for individuals with special needs.

Question 10: Where can I seek additional guidance and support to navigate autism benefits?

Answer: Numerous resources are available to provide guidance and support as you navigate autism benefits. The National Autistic Society, local autism support groups, and specialized advice services such as Citizens Advice can offer insights, personalized assistance, and further information regarding the benefits available to you and your child.

Leave a Comment